What are Cool Roof Coatings?
Cool roof coatings are white or special reflective pigments that reflect sunlight. Coatings are like very thick paints that can protect the roof surface from ultraviolet (UV) light and chemical damage, and some offer water protection and restorative features. Products are available for most roof types. Almost every type of building even commercial or industrial facility can benefit from a cool roof.
How Do they Work?
Cool roofs coatings work in the same way as if you were to wear light-coloured clothing on a hot sunny day to keep you cool. Cool roof coatings are designed to reflect more sunlight and absorb less heat than the standard roof structures. Standard or commonly used dark roofs can reach temperatures of 150°F or even more on a hot summer’s day. A cool roof coating under the same summer like hot conditions has the ability to get more than 50°F cooler and save energy and money by having to use less air conditioning.
Benefits of Cool Roof Coatings
Cool roofs coatings have many benefits for both the building structure and its occupants:
1. Cool roofs coatings can reduce energy bills by decreasing air conditioning needs
2. They also help improve indoor comfort for spaces or rooms that are not air conditioned, such as garages or covered patios
3. Most importantly by decreasing the roof temperature, cool roofs have a longer service lifespan.
Cool roofs coatings not only benefit the building itself, but they also benefit the environment. If a large area in a community have cool roofs they can:
1. Reduce local air temperatures
2. Lower peak electricity demand, which in result can prevent power outages
3. Reduce power plant emissions, including carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrous oxides, and mercury, by reducing cooling energy used in buildings.
The Next step When Deciding to Install a Cool Roof Coating
Cool roof coatings can save money in several different ways including energy savings, rebates and incentives, HVAC equipment downsizing, and an extended roof lifetime. When deciding whether to install a new cool roof, you can determine how much energy you will save. Energy saving depends on several factors such as your businesses climate and environment, how well insulated the current roof is, the type of roof you have, and the efficiency of your heating and cooling system. To help you determine your savings you can use the Cool Roof calculator.
Get the conversation started and make sure your cool roof installation job is done right by calling Raider Painting today. You are guaranteed an expert opinion from our team of experienced painting contractors.