The major challenges posed by bridge coatings projects compel bridge operators to entrust the project only to the best bridge painting contractors in the industry. Bridge repairs and maintenance requires bridge painting contractors to be multi-skilled and experienced not only in the painting process but also in other skills needed by such a complex project. It will require cross-trained workers capable of a variety of tasks required in bridge painting.
Below are some tips in how to hire the best contractors for the job:
1. Give priority to coatings specialists who have a deep knowledge of protective coatings products.
2. Carefully examine the contractors’ portfolio and check if they have the hands-on experience or capability in bridge painting projects. At the very least, contractors should be able to scale their abilities to cater from small to large projects.
3. Consider the methodologies and work practices of the contractor, and if these can stand up to the demands of heavy-duty bridge painting.
4. Identify any extra skills that the contractors possess and could be useful in bridge painting, such as skills in steel or deck coatings, high rise projects, heavy machinery coatings, and the like.
5. Evaluate their capability to address other bridge painting issues like traffic control and management, human and environmental safety, property protection, work schedules and bridge closure avoidance, among others.