Concrete is a unique product that results from combining cement, sand, water and aggregates. It solidifies into a hard, stone-like slab with amazing strength and durability. Because of this, concrete is popularly used in a variety of applications.
Facility floors in decks, garages, basements, warehouses, storage rooms, manufacturing floors and other facility areas need the application of high-performance industrial concrete floor coatings to endure the stress brought by daily operations. Although concrete floors can withstand the operational load for long periods of time, industrial concrete floor coatings can bolster resistance to chemical and physical damages for much longer.
Criteria for Selection of Floor Coatings
With many kinds of floor coatings products out in the market today, choosing the right one for the facility can be difficult. But when facility managers keep in mind the actual requirement of the facility, the choice is made easier. Below are some requirements that may come up for the facility, and for which various industrial floor coatings can be used:
- Repair and protection of damaged floors
- Quality performance of facility floors
- Transforming dull floors into beautiful surfaces
- Cost-efficiency and practicality
- Ease of installation
- Time constraints and service uptime
The choice of coating product may be based on one or a combination of requirements, and there are as many equivalent products suitable for each. From cement-based toppings, coatings, and curing materials, not to mention choices in epoxy mixes, urethane-based coats, polyureas or acrylics.
Selecting Coatings for Repair and Protection
Floors decay in time and due to daily wear and tear. Floor surfaces may show cracks and holes, or become slippery and more dangerous to walk on as their resistant abilities are lessened. Floor damages can result in:
- Uneven surfaces that pose safety threats or potential accidents.
- Ugly- and dirty-looking floors.
- Growth of harmful microorganisms that pose health threats.
- More severe floor damage.
Industrial concrete floor coatings with excellent repair and protective abilities should be chosen for the project. Epoxy fillers are poured on cracks and holes to level the surface prior to application. With deep cracks, sand or quartz mixed with epoxy can be poured on the hole to fill it up. In cases of hairline cracks, sanding can be done prior to industrial concrete floor coatings application to even the surface.
Selecting Coatings for Beautiful Floors
For facility floor make-overs, industrial concrete floor coatings bring back their original beautiful look. For floor beautification, some options for coating products are below:
- Clear and glossy epoxies. The standard choice for enhancing the look of facility floors, colorless industrial concrete floor coatings hide the tiniest imperfections.
- Shark-grip satiny coatings. Grips mixed with industrial concrete floor coatings provide an easy-to-clean and skid-resistant rough texture to floors. It also brings out a satin sheen to the top coat, hiding minor floor damages.
- Multi-colored chips. Freshly-applied top coats are broadcasted with a measured amount of colored chips. The result is a beautiful floor finish.
Industrial concrete floor coatings bring facility floors back to their top condition and former beauty. They revive the floors from physical and chemical damages inflicted by daily operations and traffic. In choosing the coatings to use, facility managers must stick to the true requirements of the project. When it comes down to a choice between cost and performance, the latter should not be sacrificed at any cost.